Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The Minor Executive

10:00 - Arrive in the office (half an hour late). My boss isn't here. No harm no foul.

No voicemail to answer.
No email to respond to.
Proceed to www.brocantehome.com and relax...my mind takes me far away from this hole. I'm drifting along, daydreaming about being at home....doing anything really, petting the cat, lighting candles, knitting, embroidering. My mind locks in on something really important: the vintage fabric that my cousin gave me on Easter Sunday. Pondering that project, I navigate to www.craftster.org and my mind begins to spin with possibility. Should I make picture frames with it? Maybe I should frame some of the fabric pieces and give the "framed fabric" to my cousin as a gift.

The phone doesn't ring, no work email comes in, so...

I send email back and forth with the other lazy secretaries.

11:25
The Minor Executive enters. She is wearing a turtleneck, jacket, short pleated skirt and tights--her voice is especially high and reminds me of a nursery school teacher. In fact, everything about her reminds me of a person who makes their living working with autistic children. She's not quite as old as The Woman on the Other Side of the Cube, but she is round and warm with dark little teeth.

The Woman on the Other Side of the Cube cackles and screams, "HELLO, YOU!!!"

The Minor Executive asks with great warmth and wonderment, "Guess who helped me get a deal last week? Guess who is going to get rewarded for it?"

TWOTOSOTC, jumps up and says, "Me?"

TME responds as if speaking to an imbecile, "Uhhh huhhh! Thank you so much for your help with the mailing!"

They share an embrace. This embrace involves hugs, cheek kisses and mutual flopping up and down. This is what happens when old secretaries hug.

Will I be an old, lazy secretary someday?
Chills run up and down my spine.

I return to my daydreams and sigh. And try to not talk to myself.





No comments: