Thursday, July 5, 2007

Rolex


The Big Executive asked me to run to Rolex for him on the day of my company birthday surprise (everyone gets a special cake and card on their birthday thanks to a thoughtful Brooklynite who provides this service yet keeps her birthday secret). The Big Executive's driver meets me downstairs and whisks me to a corner that I assume will have a storefront and window with display cases. NO.

Rolex customer service is on the 5th floor of a swanky 5th Avenue building. Its so quiet inside due to soft carpeting that you can make out the words of the mix of 40's standards and show tunes that play on a soft loop. The customer service reps wear matching blazers and each have a gleaming Rolex on their wrists. (they sort of look like golfers) I wondered to myself if anyone started working there just for the watch and then quit upon receipt. When the blazer clad employees take the broken and dirty Rolexes to "the back" they disappear behind a set of doors that open and close like an elevator!! AND there are fresh cut flowers and orchids throughout the marbled and golden veneered room. There were very few customers on the 5th floor, just myself and a person of the Euro-trash persuasion. I know this from his supple pointy-toed shoes and sunglasses with "Alexandros" written on the side in rhinestones.

After handing over the watch and black American Express card, I swooped back down to the street and waited for my driver. When I reached the office I found on my desk, a card signed by all of my office friends and a beautiful French creme cake with a "Happy Birthday" plastic decoration in it. I missed my birthday party.

But it was worth it.

No comments: